perjantai 13. helmikuuta 2015

My Empire Army, The Making Of

Once I fell off the wagon and decided to start a whole army again, I started wondering how it would be possible to complete anything, given that my painting time is limited.


I thought that instead of using my basic routine of base colour - wash - highlight, I'd cut out one stage and just go with dark base - highlight.


For shading the base colour dark, I tried using an ink, which actually worked pretty well, giving the mix a nice flow and resulting in some rudimentary shading even with the first layer of paint. The only problem was, that because the mix isn't as opaque, addional care was needed to cover up any mistakes made with earlier colours.


This fellow, lost in contemplation, holding the helmet of his fallen comrade (Yorick?) shall demonstrate the work stages. A characterful sculpt from Wargames Foundry by the Perrys.


First a primer of light grey, in this case, Citadel Celestra Grey


The base is then given a healthy dose of Vallejo Sepia ink.


Then drybrushed with a mix of Vallejo Goblin Green and Moon Yellow.


Then the rocks picked out with a mix of V. Cold Grey and white.


To make painting easier, I try to paint "inside out," so here I started with skin because the face is deeper than the helmet or the collar. This way any mistakes are easy paint over at the same time as doing the helmet, for example. A 1:1:1 mix of Vallejo Pale Yellow, Bloody Red and Sepia Ink for the base, and Vallejo Bloody Red, Pale Yellow and White for the highlight.



Then the armour and metal bits, a 1:1 mix of Citadel Runefang Steel and Vallejo Black Ink drybrushed over with Citadel Runefang Steel.



..and so on. I seem to have either mislaid the pics from this point on, or forgotten to take them altogether. But anyway the process is repeated with respective colors, green, white, grey, brownish cloth, leather. The final bit with wood I did the other way around with just base colour, then ink as shown in the final photos.



Relatively quickly I had troops I'm not too ashamed of to put on the gaming table.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti